This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
9/11
Started by Zizou

373 posts in this topic
Fire Doinks
Unregistered

09-11-2017, 05:52 PM -
I don't think my school mentioned it at all, maybe at Friday assembly or something but definitely not on the day or the day after.
Hotel Scorpio
The Priority

Threads: 57

09-11-2017, 05:55 PM -
Didn't find out until I got in from school either. That was the first time I watched one of the 24hr news channels properly and was glued to it.
PHOODLE-OUt
MRS MIKO OUt

Threads: 264

09-11-2017, 05:56 PM -
Tribes in Africa hearing about it before CC  Monty Chuckle
Papin
Ego Amigo

Threads: 23

09-11-2017, 06:00 PM -
Wasn't back at Uni yet so was just dossing about my parents house. Was on the phone to my mate watching Sky news as the 2nd plane flew in.

First class back at Stirling was US Politics & Foriegn Policy so the lecturer pretty much ripped up the curriculum Warnock
Hung S.J.
Elite

Threads: 970

09-11-2017, 06:04 PM -
(09-11-2017, 05:33 PM)Coppercrutch Wrote: Was on a wee tour in Mekong Delta in Vietnam. Lots of folk kept asking if we American - when we said no they must have assumed we wouldn't be interested. 

I spent the night of 9-11 trying to sing karaoke in Vietnamese whilst drinking mingin snake wine petrol tasting pish.

Shitwine

Got back to hotel in Ho Chi Minh few days later and everyone still watching non stop on TV.

We had no clue.

That's a decent reason and pozzy for also travelling the on the Mekong Delta. Stunning country. Putitthere
Coppercrutch
Banned

Threads: 1

09-11-2017, 06:10 PM -
(09-11-2017, 05:56 PM)Craig Levein-Style Icon Wrote: Tribes in Africa hearing about it before CC  Monty Chuckle

Tribes In Africa probably have higher IQ's than me ffs. 

(09-11-2017, 06:04 PM)Gregory Wrote: That's a decent reason and pozzy for also travelling the on the Mekong Delta. Stunning country.  Putitthere

Aye - cracking place. Probably very different these days ? 

I do fancy going back. Although being older I would probably give a fuck about some of the situations I got into back then and didn't give a fuck. 

Flying up highway 1 on a scooter no helmet trying to avoid fuck off trucks. No fear at all. Now - I'd probably be a bit like...

Sob
shaun.lawson
Punta del Este, Uruguay

Threads: 5

09-11-2017, 06:23 PM -
I was at LSE. The deadline for my Master's dissertation was the following Monday, 17 September. And for about the only time in my entire life, I'd got myself organised, written it up faster than I anticipated, and handed it in that morning. Degree finished.

So I was full of the joys of early autumn, went for lunch, then went back into the library and got chatting to my friend Lena*. Whereupon she glanced at the computer screen, and suddenly, her voice started shaking. "Shaun - two planes have crashed into the World Trade Center".

Quickly, I decided it was best to get out of there, pronto. If they'd attacked New York, why wouldn't they attack London too? On the walk to Holborn tube, I swear everyone looked like they were thinking that. Then as I descended the escalator, I also thought: "Shaun, should you be going underground at a time like this?"

On the platform, I started fretting. 10 days earlier, I'd spoken with another friend from the course, Amy - who was from New York, had been jobhunting, and had told me she was having an interview with Cantor Fitzgerald. I worried about her all the way home - and when I got back, was so relieved when she picked up the phone. She hadn't got the job. If she had, she'd have been in One World Trade Center that morning. Cantor Fitzgerald had offices between the 101st and 105th floor, and lost 658 of their 960 employees. Sob

I rang around other friends both in London and the US - then don't think I slept for the next 72 hours. It was the memorial service on the Friday which got me. I'd not cried before that, and was in absolute floods throughout. Those poor, poor people. Those poor, poor families.

On the night of 9/11, I sat chatting with my Dad, and we were both convinced (wrongly) that someone had put a missile up Flight 93. There was so much panic in those first couple of hours. No-one knew what was going on; the US seemed like it had been taken over by terrorists, the news kept reporting possible new attacks, and we both figured that whoever was responsible for American air security had probably taken the "better be safe than sorry" option with UA93. Other than that though, I've never had any truck with any conspiracy theories: which I find grotesquely offensive, even if they're believed by some of the bereaved families.

9/11 was our JFK moment. There's no question it changed history. On a personal level, it also changed how American friends interacted with me, and my fellow Brits and Europeans. It made them wary, scared, paranoid at times... made them feel like their whole way of life was under attack. A mindset which, sadly, was what led to Iraq.

Yet in historical terms, I'm not sure it was more significant than either 9/11/73, which Mak rightly mentioned; or for that matter, in UK date style, 9/11/89: the day the wall came down and Europe was at last reunited. But I don't think there'll be any other experience in my life which'll result in me inwardly panicking whenever I hear an aeroplane flying past for months afterwards; nor which will have me feeling angry, raging almost, if I see people laughing and having a normal conversation in the immediate days afterwards. Yet that was how it felt. The whole world seemed to have been turned upside down.

*Lena and I have discussed it several times since. Apropros of nothing, she went on to become Nick Clegg's Head of Communications and is now an OBE.
Morph
Elite

Threads: 108

09-11-2017, 06:26 PM -
(09-11-2017, 05:46 PM)Roger H. Sterling Wrote: Surely anyone of school age was in school? Had the telly pulled into my class as well. History I think. Surprised that others didn't.

Not in primary.

Remember coming in the next day and all these kids who must've only been about 7-8 at the time reading newspapers.
[Image: n7oPFZa.gif]

Hung S.J.
Elite

Threads: 970

09-11-2017, 06:27 PM -
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Morph
Elite

09-11-2017, 06:28 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:27 PM)Gregory Wrote: [Image: hqdefault.jpg]

There is no way that baby is 7 or 8. Monty Oh You

Coppercrutch
Banned

09-11-2017, 06:29 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:23 PM)shaun.lawson Wrote: I was at LSE. The deadline for my Master's dissertation was the following Monday, 17 September. And for about the only time in my entire life, I'd got myself organised, written it up faster than I anticipated, and handed it in that morning. Degree finished.

So I was full of the joys of early autumn, went for lunch, then went back into the library and got chatting to my friend Lena*. Whereupon she glanced at the computer screen, and suddenly, her voice started shaking. "Shaun - two planes have crashed into the World Trade Center".

Quickly, I decided it was best to get out of there, pronto. If they'd attacked New York, why wouldn't they attack London too? On the walk to Holborn tube, I swear everyone looked like they were thinking that. Then as I descended the escalator, I also thought: "Shaun, should you be going underground at a time like this?"

On the platform, I started fretting. 10 days earlier, I'd spoken with another friend from the course, Amy - who was from New York, had been jobhunting, and had told me she was having an interview with Cantor Fitzgerald. I worried about her all the way home - and when I got back, was so relieved when she picked up the phone. She hadn't got the job. If she had, she'd have been in One World Trade Center that morning. Cantor Fitzgerald had offices between the 101st and 105th floor, and lost 658 of their 960 employees. Sob

I rang around other friends both in London and the US - then don't think I slept for the next 72 hours. It was the memorial service on the Friday which got me. I'd not cried before that, and was in absolute floods throughout. Those poor, poor people. Those poor, poor families.

On the night of 9/11, I sat chatting with my Dad, and we were both convinced (wrongly) that someone had put a missile up Flight 93. There was so much panic in those first couple of hours. No-one knew what was going on; the US seemed like it had been taken over by terrorists, the news kept reporting possible new attacks, and we both figured that whoever was responsible for American air security had probably taken the "better be safe than sorry" option with UA93. Other than that though, I've never had any truck with any conspiracy theories: which I find grotesquely offensive, even if they're believed by some of the bereaved families.

9/11 was our JFK moment. There's no question it changed history. On a personal level, it also changed how American friends interacted with me, and my fellow Brits and Europeans. It made them wary, scared, paranoid at times... made them feel like their whole way of life was under attack. A mindset which, sadly, was what led to Iraq.

Yet in historical terms, I'm not sure it was more significant than either 9/11/73, which Mak rightly mentioned; or for that matter, in UK date style, 9/11/89: the day the wall came down and Europe was at last reunited. But I don't think there'll be any other experience in my life which'll result in me inwardly panicking whenever I hear an aeroplane flying past for months afterwards; nor which will have me feeling angry, raging almost, if I see people laughing and having a normal conversation in the immediate days afterwards. Yet that was how it felt. The whole world seemed to have been turned upside down.

*Lena and I have discussed it several times since. Apropros of nothing, she went on to become Nick Clegg's Head of Communications and is now an OBE.

They must have one amazingly efficient HR team compared to everywhere else ........
Coppercrutch
Banned

09-11-2017, 06:30 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:28 PM)Morph Wrote: There is no way that baby is 7 or 8.   Monty Oh You

That baby is called Shaun. 

Sound
shaun.lawson
Punta del Este, Uruguay

Threads: 5

09-11-2017, 06:31 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:29 PM)Coppercrutch Wrote: They must have one amazingly efficient HR team compared to everywhere else ........

The job she'd applied for was starting on Sep 10.
PHOODLE-OUt
MRS MIKO OUt

Threads: 264

09-11-2017, 06:34 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:28 PM)Morph Wrote: There is no way that baby is 7 or 8.   Monty Oh You

6/10? GodIsGod
Roger H. Sterling
Category 3 Poster

Threads: 54

09-11-2017, 06:39 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:26 PM)Morph Wrote: Not in primary.

Remember coming in the next day and all these kids who must've only been about 7-8 at the time reading newspapers.

What time do primary school kids get out? It happened at half 1.
Morph
Elite

09-11-2017, 06:52 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:39 PM)Roger H. Sterling Wrote: What time do primary school kids get out? It happened at half 1.

At mine p1 and p2 finished at 3 and the other years 3.30 if I remember right.

Coppercrutch
Banned

09-11-2017, 08:48 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:31 PM)shaun.lawson Wrote: The job she'd applied for was starting on Sep 10.

Well that's one close call. 

Monty Ooh
Coppercrutch
Banned

09-11-2017, 08:52 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:39 PM)Roger H. Sterling Wrote: What time do primary school kids get out? It happened at half 1.

[Image: saville-370439.jpg]
pondlife
Posting Freak

Threads: 4

09-11-2017, 11:31 PM -
(09-11-2017, 06:10 PM)Coppercrutch Wrote: Tribes In Africa probably have higher IQ's than me ffs. 

The whole tribe vs you, in an IQ test. Stretching it a bit, surely. Monty Oh You
Snake Plissken
Snake? Snake!? Snaaaaaaake!

Threads: 7

09-12-2017, 04:51 AM -
I was at an open day for Strathclyde Uni, realised after about an hour it wasn't going to be for me so a mate and I tried (unsuccessfully) to get a beer at the Union, we were playing pool when the footage of the first tower ablaze came up on the TV screens. Watched it unfold as it happened.