This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Buying a newbuild
Started by Fraggle

25 posts in this topic
Fraggle
Death, taxes and Shankland goals

Threads: 32

10-08-2018, 06:21 PM -
Anybody done this or in the process of it?

Keen to hear peoples experiences and what to avoid etc.
Hekens
Mr A
Elite

Threads: 73

10-08-2018, 06:32 PM -
Do you mean before it is built or just buying a new build in general?
Fraggle

10-08-2018, 07:35 PM -
(10-08-2018, 06:32 PM)TheSitzpinkler Wrote: Do you mean before it is built or just buying a new build in general?

I've just reserved one which is still in building stage but just peoples experiences on similar situations.
Hekens
Johnny
Well kent cretin and slaver

Threads: 22

10-08-2018, 07:36 PM -
Depends on the builder. Some are horrendous quality and service. Some are fantastic. Cala Homes fucking live on their 5 star customer reviews and will bend over backwards and do anything to keep it. So complaining and pushing back on them can score you some extra stuff.

Keepmoat are shite imo

Persimmon or whatever they are called, avoid like the plague, absolute diddies, couldny build a sand castle the cunts

Like anything really, restaurants, fitbaw teams, beers, cars, some are better than others, some are great and some are shite

Value for money wise I'd buy an older build masel but thats another thread
Johnny
Well kent cretin and slaver

Threads: 22

10-08-2018, 07:37 PM -
(10-08-2018, 07:35 PM)Fraggle90 Wrote: I've just reserved one which is still in building stage but just peoples experiences on similar situations.

Do you have your mortgage sorted out yet? PM me if not

Quite Good
Fraggle

10-08-2018, 07:39 PM -
(10-08-2018, 07:36 PM)Johnny Wrote: Depends on the builder. Some are horrendous quality and service. Some are fantastic. Cala Homes fucking live on their 5 star customer reviews and will bend over backwards and do anything to keep it. So complaining and pushing back on them can score you some extra stuff.

Keepmoat are shite imo

Persimmon or whatever they are called, avoid like the plague, absolute diddies, couldny build a sand castle the cunts

Like anything really, restaurants, fitbaw teams, beers, cars, some are better than others, some are great and some are shite

Value for money wise I'd buy an older build masel but thats another thread

Yeah this is a Barratt built house and believe they have a similar 5 star policy so won't be signing anything till they've snagged the life out it. 

Worked in Persimmon houses before and yeah they are a fucking shambles.

We wanted an older house but Edinburghs market is ridiculous, the houses we were bidding for were going for 80k over asking price.  Monty Oh Well
This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 07:39 PM by Fraggle.
Hekens
Fraggle

10-08-2018, 07:41 PM -
(10-08-2018, 07:37 PM)Johnny Wrote: Do you have your mortgage sorted out yet? PM me if not

Quite Good

In the process but if any issues will PM you  Sound
Hekens
Roger H. Sterling
Category 3 Poster

Threads: 54

10-08-2018, 07:47 PM -
Looking at it as well. Had seen some Persimmons houses I really liked. Good to know they should be avoided but I guess that’s why they’re so affordable.
Floyd
Resident Weegie

Threads: 9

10-08-2018, 09:02 PM -
(10-08-2018, 06:21 PM)Fraggle90 Wrote: Anybody done this or in the process of it?

Keen to hear peoples experiences and what to avoid etc.

I did it a good number of years back, bought the house off plan without even seeing the show home. Eek

Worked out fine and got the house cheaper than the neighbours paid for theirs. Quite Good Only advice I’d give is to make sure that your snagging list is bang on the cash, my ex’s uncle was a builder and did our snagging list for us, and pointed out things that I’d never have noticed, so that made a huge difference.

I’d also make sure everything they say they’re going to do, gets done before they disappear off site, as a couple of my old neighbours had a bit of grief trying to get some work done after they’d left site.

Other than that, I think you’ll be fine as you seem to know what to look out for. Sally
Herzog
Horrible Bastard

Threads: 55

10-08-2018, 09:51 PM -
Working with people who have bought new builds. Some of them look old inside. Creaky floors. Problems in the shower rooms. Think i'd rather wait until the first owner who has fixed it up and has had enough before i'd take the chance.

Shuto Makino
1-1 :jos:

Threads: 55

10-08-2018, 09:52 PM -
Does Johnny work in mortgages now? Hasn't really mentioned it.
(08-21-2017, 01:25 PM)i8hibsh Wrote: I AM A LONER BY CHOICE
I AM SINGLE BY CHOICE
I HAVE NO KIDS BY CHOICE

Herman Boyce
It was a good laugh, wasn’t it?

Threads: 10

10-09-2018, 05:07 AM -
I’ve got a new build. Was working shifts at the time we bought and wanted a town house so when I was nights sleeping would be easier during the day with a floor between me and the kids. A new build was pretty much our only option.

We went for a David Wilson one, which are part of the Barrett group. We had a lot of things on our snagging list, but none of them major and they all got resolved. The site manager was a bit of a prick and they failed to turn up for a couple of appointments to have things done which was annoying.

They’ll usually give you a 3 month completion window. At best you’ll be in by the 3rd month of the 3. We had April/May/June but didn’t get in until October. We were staying with family so it wasn’t a huge issue but if we’d been renting it would have cost us a fair bit. We kicked up a bit of a fuss and they wrote off the cost of all our extras and gave us curtains in every room for nothing. Probably saved us in the region of £5k.

No complaints about the actual house though, just be prepared for a smallish garden. They absolutely cram new builds into developments these days.
Chris Benoit
Benoit for HOF 2024

Threads: 5

10-09-2018, 08:38 AM -
Never heard much bad about Barratt. Echo sentiments on Persimmons, only builder I’ve worked for I’d definitely not buy. Fucking useless
Array
Posting Freak

10-09-2018, 10:22 AM -
I wouldn't be closed to a new build - in fact I'd rather have one than be the second owner through experience. If the house quality is good then what more could you want of a 'new' new house? The first owner gets to make things how they want it, and if the builders are still on site then can get the odd favour done by the workmen around at cheaper rates if you're the friendly sort.
I'm the second owner of a house just now and even after years there are still things I come across that the first owner did and that I have to sort out before I can do things I intend to. I'd rather have traditional older buildings but that's just me, not all new houses are made of cardboard, some I'd be v happy with.
As for creaky floors etc. that's just how things are built - can be a sign of cost-cutting but given that materials will dry & shrink it'll happen sometimes on the best-made ones too. Unless floor supports are e.g. concrete, which is unusual in the UK, old or new houses are liable to it, tho tbf it can be easier to fix on traditional floorboards than with larger flooring sheets.
Walter Sobchak
over the line

Threads: 151

10-10-2018, 08:30 AM -
Last flat was a new build, main advice would be to snag the shit out of it and don't give up/let them away with it. Just be a pain in their neck if that's whats needed.
Fraggle

10-15-2018, 10:23 PM -
Thanks for responses chaps.

On a sidenote, has anybody ever knocked down part of a wall to accomodate a door?

Noticed garage didnt have access from inside so unsure how practical/pricy it would be?
Hekens
shaun.lawson
Punta del Este, Uruguay

10-16-2018, 04:40 AM -
I've started looking at new builds here, purely because of the discounts involved. However, this being Latin America, the delays are notorious, and can last up to 5 years - so quite often, a new build's first owner is really its second or third owner. It's just that the prior owner(s) got fed up waiting and sold up.

Based on that, I think I'll give it a miss tbh.
Mr A
Elite

Threads: 73

10-16-2018, 06:03 AM -
(10-16-2018, 04:40 AM)shaun.lawson Wrote: I've started looking at new builds here, purely because of the discounts involved. However, this being Latin America, the delays are notorious, and can last up to 5 years - so quite often, a new build's first owner is really its second or third owner. It's just that the prior owner(s) got fed up waiting and sold up.

Based on that, I think I'll give it a miss tbh.

What are the property prices like out there, Shaun?

Meant to tell you I was at a quiz last week and there was a question about which country had the larger population: Uruguay or Scotland? Had a internal lol to myself because I’d read in one of your fun-filled factoid posts that the answer is in fact Scotland. jjay

Obviously I asserted the right answer without telling my team how I was so sure Shitwine

Pozzy
Herman Boyce
It was a good laugh, wasn’t it?

Threads: 10

10-16-2018, 05:56 PM -
(10-15-2018, 10:23 PM)Fraggle90 Wrote: Thanks for responses chaps.

On a sidenote, has anybody ever knocked down part of a wall to accomodate a door?

Noticed garage didnt have access from inside so unsure how practical/pricy it would be?

I enquired about doing the same with my place and got told it was quite a big job. Didn’t go any further with it as we’ve stuff we’re looking to do internally that I want done first.
shaun.lawson
Punta del Este, Uruguay

10-17-2018, 02:35 AM -
(10-16-2018, 06:03 AM)TheSitzpinkler Wrote: What are the property prices like out there, Shaun?

Meant to tell you I was at a quiz last week and there was a question about which country had the larger population: Uruguay or Scotland? Had a internal lol to myself because I’d read in one of your fun-filled factoid posts that the answer is in fact Scotland. jjay

Obviously I asserted the right answer without telling my team how I was so sure   Shitwine

Pozzy

Shitwine

Prices here? Well, for the kind of large studio I'm in now (about 40m squared), in a nice part of Punta del Este, I won't find anything good for less than $130K.
The new build I was looking at was this:

https://www.infocasas.com.uy/107740-apar...85835109?v

Wow

That's extraordinarily cheap for something like that. Once it's built, I imagine it'd be 180K in no time.

Alternatively, occasionally, you can find something like this:

https://www.infocasas.com.uy/muy-lindo-m...85701695?v

Only 30K up front, then 690 dollars a month for 17 years. It has a swimming pool and a balcony, both of which are prerequisites as far as I'm concerned - but the balcony/terrace is shit, as the view is, well, nothing. So it's a no-no.
This post was last modified: 10-17-2018, 02:44 AM by shaun.lawson.