This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

First team setup
Started by Cammo Toe

2 posts in this topic
Cammo Toe
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

09-24-2019, 08:05 PM -
Something that hasn't got a lot of coverage is that our improved performance and win at ER involved changing from 3 at the back to a flat 4.

This constant changing of formation isn't healthy and goes against what we were told that up from youth Hearts players would get used to a certain style. This obviously changes once in the first team.

The change at ER only encourages me to believe in a 442. We looked so much better. As the leagues 3rd biggest club we shouldn't be playing 3 centre halves against most opposition. I also think that although we didn't have 2 outright CFs, we should for the same reasons. Christ Ross County now play 2 up front at Tynie. Levein is far too conservative and our changes at ER were final roll of the dice stuff rather than his cavalier nature to chase the win. He was fighting against his nature to save his job.

The best Hearts teams I've seen have had a back 4 with 2 domimant CHs like McPherson and Levein himself. Or Snake and Webster.

Our best midfields have been a classic 2 wide, 1 holding and 1 attacking runner. Players like Brellier or Salvatori at the base. McCann or Skacel or Miko left. Cameron and Hartley being the types to run beyond the forwards.

And up front I actually think we've often struggled  for a good duo but I'm old enough to think of Skull and Robbo and to an extent we've tried similar with likes of de Vries and Kirk.

I do believe we have broadly decent players now but Olly Lee's comments stay with me about a difference of opinion over style and formation and roles with Levein. I feel the team are playing within themselves. ER forced a change the players liked. I wish we'd go 442 or 451 if Naisy off the CF. But Levein I think likes a 361 with players like Jake out of position and CMs seeming confused about roles. We still don't actually know what Clare is. 

I'm posting this as a positive after ER. Is there a decent team here that just needs a formation and style that works better for them?
Floyd
Resident Weegie

Threads: 6

09-24-2019, 08:36 PM -
Totally agree with a good 4-4-2 line up or a 4-2-3-1 with Naismith involved. I do personally prefer a partnership up top, mainly because I think it’s good to not solely rely on one striker to do all the work, especially if they’re getting no change out a centre half.

The line up Rangers play is one I’d like to see us try, as they seem to start with pace and urgency most weeks, and aren’t shy about getting balls into the box either.

We, as the supposed third best team in the league, need to be lining up to take control of 90% of our games, not changing our shape to combat the threat from St Mirren or the likes. Let them deal with us, not the other way around.
Frank Uchewood
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

09-25-2019, 03:39 PM -
I don't buy into this idea that 3 at the back or one 1 up front is necessarily defensive - it's all in the style of play. 3 at the back and 1 up top is defensive if you play very back to front, route one, ignore the midfield and play for scraps.

Equally, if you play a different style and have 3 at the back with 1 up front, supported by two behind and two out wide then that's far more attacking and allows you to penetrate lines more often IMO.