This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Team Summary
Started by Cammo Toe

12 posts in this topic
Cammo Toe
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

10-08-2019, 04:53 PM -
I'm bored so let me get this out ma system.

So after a good number of years, and something like 80 signings, using over 100 players I think, here's what any typical fan would be putting to Levein as a summary for him to comment on at a Board meeting:

Goalkeeper (FAIL)
We have a loan signing from Man United and whilst that's a big club, the reality is he's something like their 5th or 6th choice. Jury is out. He went south with a sore leg after one game. Yet to make a stop that is of the standards of the boy now at Sunderland, Jon McLaughlin.
Doyle / Bobby - both prone to howlers, you obviously have no confidence as no.1s given our loan signing is starting every game. Doyle, you just extended his deal.
We let Liam Kelly leave Livingston for £50k to be QPR's understudy when he was a standout last year. 8 miles away. We made no approach to realise his buy out. Had a great understanding with Halkett. Strange.

Right back (PASS)
TBF - Michael Smith a stand out, although seeming like sweeper might be his position. But good player, great signing. Concern is in his absence we have nothing coming through as a natural right back and no stand in for him when he, inevitably, gets injured.

Left back (FAIL)
Where to start. Grezlak, Oshaniwa, Garrucio, White, Mitchell, Sowah and a cast of hundreds. And now after all that, our starting left back is a boy who was 16 a few weeks ago. Or, Mulraney, a winger. For a team that has had fans used to Naysmith, Wallace, Fyssas, McKinlay - what has been the issue over the majority of the last 4-5 years?

Centre back (PASS)
Souttar and Halkett are stand outs. And TBF getting Berra here and his standards pre-injury has been equally admirable. And Dikoma has been an energetic stand-in. Little seems to be coming through as quality youth pressure from Baur or Petkov. But on the whole, passable, but Berra is now looking a shadow of himself and that needs addressed. Letting fans favourite and solid performer Jimmy Dunne join Fleetwood Town looks questionnable however.

Defensive mid (PASS)
Haring is a player and a good acquistion. Whelan is different class and another great acquisition. Possibly allowing Haring a run at CH. Will be hard to think either won't start when fit.

Right mid (FAIL)
Not even sure we have one. Olly Lee jetisoned and was never really a right mid for us. Morrision tried, enthusiastically, and failed. Sean Clare, don't start. Failed everywhere. Do we even have someone we could confidently call a right sided MF? It's like you've decided this position is so unimportant we don't need one.

Left mid (UNDECIDED)
Mulraney was a project but now a starter. TBF, likely Walker would have this role if fit. Only reason for a pass. But as it is, it's Mulraney, who when deployed as a LWB is costing us goals, and offensively still doesn't create enough or score enough. Is this project developing?

Attacking mid (FAIL)
Irving has flattered and looks reasonable, but not cementing a place. Workrate and defensive duties seem questionable. Cochrane and Smith away after looking promising. Naismith on a 4 year deal looks like a panic buy now for someone on good wages from 32 to 36 and who has been patchy on fitness for the last few seasons. Can we rely on this player? Meshino signed as a loan but looks like he might flatter to deceive in Scottish football. Fancy footwork with no real results, yet.

Centre forward (FAIL)
Washington signed and a decent pedigree despite limited goals. And that's what he's brought, limited goals. Didn't he give an interview about 'top goalscorer since Robbo', coming from the Vanecek school of social media. If we play one up front, it can't be someone who scores 8 goals a season. Uche is a cult hero, which tends to mean great effort and a talisman, without the ability. That said, a good sub/option/character. But again, limited goals and frankly, skill.

Above is even assuming no injuries. Which is its own enquiry and seems of a level unparralleled in British football. And our youth system seems to produce a conveyor belt of reasonable kids not good enough for the first team. Like Keena, Moore and others. Hickey the only exception.

Style - abymsal and a turn off for fans. No decent pace, still, or wing play, or cohesion or sense of play. No midfield runners like Cameron, Hartley, Skacel. Even if not that standard, there's just no attempt to have someone like that getting goals and running past the forward lines.

Formation - we don't seem to have an agreed formation. We've been 451, 361, and even now hints of 460. Players are regularly out of position and we alter not just week to week, but in match. The one thing that formations agree on is the lack of 2 up front. For Scotland's 3rd biggest team. Even at home. To the minows, where we're actually playing 3 CHs to mark one forward, as per Kilmarnock game.

For me, how we can then respond to a Board that even if they haven't been football fans, can't see this, is beyond me. In all this he needs to equally talk about our r/ship with agents as well as getting Murray in to talk about r/ment. Where are players like Stockton and Vanecek coming from, who is suggesting them to Hearts and why are we saying, yes?

The infuriating thing is Levein is almost asking all this of himself as both Manager and DOF.

In summary, through continuously improving the team we should now be at a point of shoe-in for 3rd and making cup finals, even with difficult runs. Instead, after all this expense and effort, is our team really that much better than Sam Nicholson, Eckersly, Sow, Paterson, etc. etc. from years ago. It's like we've spent a fortune to go backwards and don't even have a recognised playing formation or style.

END.
Yaldibo

Threads: 1

10-08-2019, 05:09 PM -
I'm at the point where i can't even be bothered thinking about it anymore. 
The whole thing is a fail under Levein & chums. 
I would give every player a chance to show his worth under a new manager, then take it from there.
Grumblebum
Posting Freak

Threads: 834

10-08-2019, 05:11 PM -
It’s tiring to think about. That’s why the anger is gone and apathy is here to stay.

Dangerous game we are playing with folks patience
Jeff Resnick
Buffalo's No. 1 Psychic Investigator

Threads: 15

10-08-2019, 05:33 PM -
Liam Kelly was approached by us and another couple of Scottish Premiership teams. Refused to speak with them because he wanted to move to England and get a bigger pay day. Apparently.
Real Spencer

Threads: 0

10-08-2019, 05:42 PM -
(10-08-2019, 05:09 PM)Yaldibo Wrote: I'm at the point where i can't even be bothered thinking about it anymore. 
The whole thing is a fail under Levein & chums. 
I would give every player a chance to show his worth under a new manager, then take it from there.

Where I am too. I suspect a great many feel similarly 

I don't want to hang a laddie out, not least under this calamity of a manager. But I just don't see it with Irving. He has a decent pass on him but his lack of gears and urgency are a real worry. Just can't see him cutting it. Perhaps he'd show more under a proper manager
Yaldibo

10-08-2019, 05:47 PM -
(10-08-2019, 05:42 PM)Real Spencer Wrote: Where I am too. I suspect a great many feel similarly 

I don't want to hang a laddie out, not least under this calamity of a manager. But I just don't see it with Irving. He has a decent pass on him but his lack of gears and urgency are a real worry. Just can't see him cutting it. Perhaps he'd show more under a proper manager

I think a lot of them would show more under a youthful manager with fresh ideas and a winning mentality. 
Someone with decent experience though, maybe worked a long side someone at a bigger team for example. 

Are you the Spencer that people go on about on JKB? 
I've actually been accused of being him more than once haha.
Grumblebum
Posting Freak

10-08-2019, 05:48 PM -
Aye are you the weirdo who despised scotty robinson? jjay
Yaldibo

10-08-2019, 06:04 PM -
(10-08-2019, 05:48 PM)Grumblebum Wrote: Aye are you the weirdo who despised scotty robinson? jjay

If that was for me, no. 
I can't remember having much to say about him to be honest. 
Like a lot of players we've had, he looked like he had the potential to be better than average but we didn't help with that. 
Now playing with Livi apparently, not been following him.
Grumblebum
Posting Freak

10-08-2019, 06:05 PM -
Was for spencey
Yaldibo

10-08-2019, 06:09 PM -
(10-08-2019, 06:05 PM)Grumblebum Wrote: Was for spencey

Do a wee quote next time so i don't look like a tool. haha.
This post was last modified: 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM by Yaldibo.
Grumblebum
Posting Freak

10-08-2019, 06:14 PM -
(10-08-2019, 06:09 PM)Yaldibo Wrote: Do a wee quote next time so i don't look like a tool. haha.

Sound
Alan Partridge
Drunk Cretin & Hassle Magnet

Threads: 608

10-08-2019, 06:27 PM -
(10-08-2019, 06:09 PM)Yaldibo Wrote: Do a wee quote next time so i don't look like a tool. haha.

Jim Kens
Makween
1-1 :jos:

Threads: 48

10-08-2019, 10:03 PM -

Don't you want to fit in? Woy
(08-21-2017, 01:25 PM)i8hibsh Wrote: I AM A LONER BY CHOICE
I AM SINGLE BY CHOICE
I HAVE NO KIDS BY CHOICE